Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Walking the Walk

Over the last 10 years of teaching yoga and fitness classes, I have been asked many things. I usually have an answer that is one I would follow under similar circumstances, but I don't always "walk the walk" as they say.

This last year has been an eye opener for me.  I had taken a few years off of working full-time to pursue some other challenges in my life.  I had found a way to make it financially through cobbling together part-time work, contract work and living very frugally. I decided a year ago that I needed to make more money and that I was wasting my degree by doing these part-time things and just getting by. 

I realized how difficult it is to get everything in during the day. I found myself working from sun-up to sundown to fit everything in during the course of 24 hours. Of course, I continued to teach 4 yoga classes every week, and tried to fit in workouts on the other days. I also was in a new relationship that needed nurturing and time to develop.

What I found was that even though I was trying to eat well and workout, it wasn't happening. My workouts were minimal at best, and I ate out way to much due to perceived time limitations. It is much easier to hit snooze and get in an additional 15 minutes of sleep than it is to get up and make lunch. This was hazardous to my eating habits, as it often ended with some kind of fast food lunch. I even tried to keep those in the "Standard American Diet" version of healthy, by eating a salad or a turkey sub. My body doesn't react well to that kind of eating and lax workouts, so I gained 30 pounds in the course of about 6 months.

In March of 2012, I decided it was time to get back on track.  I did the Beachbody Reset to get back on track with my eating. I also signed up for three half marathons to get me back on track fitness wise. Anyone who has done one of those knows you can't just walk up to the start line and run 13.1 miles, so I had to train. By the time I stepped up to the start line for the  first one in May, I had lost 20 pounds and had gotten back on track with my workouts.My time was horrible and I could hardly roll out of bed the next morning, but I did it!

By the next race in August, I had run alot over the summer, lost about 10 more pounds and I managed to  cut 24 minutes off my time from May. I was also doing Les Mills Pump and Body Beast , two resistance training workouts from Beachbody. I love lifting weights, and it really helps me to tone up, which cardio and long slow running does not do. I am still no where near where I was 5 years ago, but I am back on track. When I did the final of the three half marathons 6 days after the August one, I felt good and was only 2 1/2 minutes slower than the one the week before!

I managed to do all of this while working two jobs and teaching classes, so I know it can be done. I needed to start "walking the walk" again and commit to my fitness and wellness plans and goals.

I have "been there and done that" and I would love to help you find the time, the plan and the system that will work for you to fit healthy eating and fitness into your hectic and busy schedule.  It is an important goal for me to help others find their healthy path! It is different for everyone, so if one path doesn't work for you, another one might! It may take some trial and error, but we can figure it out together. Email me at simplicityquest@gmail.com or jennifer.monsos@gmail.com if you would like to talk about getting yourself back on track! Also feel free to visit one of my websites at www.yogafitnesswellness.com for my yoga studio information or www.simplicityquest.com for my accounting/business coaching services!!

Oh, by the way, I am back to cobbling together part-time stuff and contract work to make a living and it is truly my happy place. A regular full-time job is just not my thing. I like the challenge of figuring it out every day.

Have a great week!

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment