Monday, October 15, 2012

Beef stew and cookies... Accounting and Yoga....

Today is Monday and it is my first OFFICIAL day of not having to work a regular "away from home" job since last year at this time. I started full-time away from home employment again last October, and here I am back to being home again. I do teach two yoga classes tonight, but that I consider to be fun stuff, even though it is my business.

I got up this morning when Steve got up to go to a jobsite. With both of us now "self-employed" life is somewhat different.  We still get up between 6:30 and 7:00am to start the day, but it is more relaxed than it used to be.  I made coffee, then sat down to figure out my day. It is harder when you work at home, as you need to be deliberate in how your day is set up. Too many things can get in your way, and take you off track.

I make a "to do" list and get started.  First on the list today was to replace the toilet seat. Well that took 5 minutes, so onto the next task. Change the bed and wash sheets and towels, check. Cookies? Yes, I was planning on those yesterday, but the day got away from me! Two batches, one dark chocolate chip and one oatmeal raisin. Both are made with whole wheat flour, organic raw sugar and the chocolate chips were dark chocolate, so not terrible for us. 

Then, let's think about dinner. Yes, I know it is like 10 hours away, but I like to "crock pot" most of the winter.  I go out to the garage to see what we have in the freezer for meat, and find two packages of stew meat!! YUMMY! Beef stew it is! I scavenge the freezer for frozen veggies and find one last bag of brussel sprouts and a large bag of green beans from the garden. In the house there are still potatoes that we grew this summer, so there we have it! All good for you stuff, thrown into the crockpot. By the time we both get home at 7 tonight, we will have comfort food that is good for us too!

Now, I sat down to get some things done for yoga tonight, return emails regarding a private yoga session and some accounting client questions. I bill a job for Steve and code some receipts to enter for our businesses. I really enjoy working at home. I am hoping that with some frugality and selling some stuff, I can continue this lifestyle. I forget how much I enjoy it when I spend time working a regular job.  I think I am meant to be at home. It suits me. One thing I do notice, is that I don't do the "8-5" thing. I work many more hours, but am much more content. I am looking forward to being home this winter, working a lot of hours to get our businesses firmly grounded, and studying for the next section of the CPA exam.

Ok, back to the "to do" list....see you tomorrow!

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment