Monday, October 8, 2012

Job Hopper...or Scanner?? That is the question...

I don't like regular jobs. I am not saying that I don't like to work hard, because I do! Everything I do, I work hard at and try my best. I am just not good at doing the same thing for eight hours a day, five days a week, among other things.

Barbara Sher, in her book Refuse to Choose, hits the nail on the head for me. I am not a job hopper, I am a scanner! I am drawn to many things, and settling on one is darn near impossible for me.  I have often told people that I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up, and that is absolutely true!

What do I like to do? Here is a list of how my perfect day would go.

1. Exercise- I enjoy a run or lifting weights every day.

2. Yoga- Teaching or doing yoga for at least an hour a day is vital for me.

3. Write- Whether it is journaling or blogging or some other form of writing, putting something on  paper daily keeps me sane.

4. Read, study and learn- Yoga, fitness, accounting, meditation or just about any topic of interest to me. The topic can vary daily, but I need to learn something new everyday.

5. Work- I enjoy my time installing or working on Quickbooks, researching or troubleshooting a problem. I enjoy the challenge of solving an issue and in helping a business owner understand their business a little better, or streamline a process.

6. Spending time with my kids, grandchild or friends- Having the ability to meet a friend for lunch, or take my granddaughter to the park are important to me. I enjoy having the flexibility to take an hour or two off in the middle of the day to help someone. Jobs make that very difficult!

7. Volunteer- I enjoy being on the board of the Women's Resource Center of Winona and being able to help them with fundraisers and projects. I would like to be able to offer more volunteer time, maybe to an additional organization.

Ok, so as you can see, I keep busy. I have often said that I think I work MORE when I don't have a regular job than when I do!

Yes, I have been through many jobs, but each one has taught me a lesson. Some have taught me lessons on how NOT to treat others, some have taught me lessons on what it means to be humble. Others have given me skills I would not otherwise have learned that I can take out now and share. I have seen coworkers who backstab and I have worked with the nicest people in the world. I have worked for managers who have absolutely no business being managers (this is more often than not the case!), and I have had some of the best managers in the world, who truly appreciate their employees and know how to treat them.

Each of these experiences has helped me to develop as a person. But I always come back to being self-employed and I like it that way. The pay is variable and never to be relied upon, but I figure it out. Now with my husband also self employed, life should be quite interesting this winter!

I just started a pot of soup while I was writing this blog entry. I will throw in a load of clothes, maybe clean the bathroom, and then work on my Quickbooks Proadvisor training for a while. Then I will do a bit of accounting work that I have sitting here waiting, finishing the day with teaching three yoga classes. Maybe I will throw in a short run before class. These are the  things I truly enjoy about this lifestyle, the variety. Some of us thrive on it, some of us don't. To each their own.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment