Monday, October 22, 2012

I am a runner...really I am

I heard the same thing from another runner this morning, so it is time to address the subject.  Those of you who know me, know that I do not LOOK like a runner, yoga teacher or fitness freak, but I am!

I don't look like someone with a clean diet, but I am! On an average day, I do a resistance workout (between 30 and 60 minutes), I run or do some other cardio almost everyday and I teach 6 yoga classes a week.

My diet is about as clean as they come for the most part. I do, of course, fall off the wagon every now and again. I had a few rough weeks here and it shows. I was still working out, just like always, but I ate some cookies and drank a bit too much wine. The result? About 5 pounds back on.

I am back on track now, with a diet that is pretty much the Primal or Paleo diet. I each lots of vegetables, nuts, seeds, meat, eggs and minimal fruit. I cut out most grains, other than some occasional quinoa (which by the way is actually a seed, not a grain!).

I started a new workout program yesterday. I find that by mixing it up, it is easier to either lose weight or maintain. I will continue to run a few times a week, teach all my yoga classes and do some resistance work almost everyday (because I LOVE IT!).

The moral of this story is: You don't have to look like you are fit to everyone else in the world. You need to know you are fit and healthy! It is about YOU, not about THEM! If someone says to you "Wow, you don't look like a runner", just ignore them. What does a runner look like anyway? I have seen many a marathon runner who doesn't look like a marathon runner!

I have had people come into my yoga classes, take a look at me and think to themselves "well this should be a walk in the park". Guess what? It isn't!! I am strong, fit and healthy. I am a GIRL, who can lead you through an excellent yoga practice.

I also can understand the frustration of those who workout and eat right and still don't feel like they look fit. Let it go...know that you are doing what you need to do for you! Ignore all the pictures of those 6-pack stomachs and informercials that make you feel self-concious.

Once you can get beyond all of that and be happy with yourself, you will find the best you possible. It may not "look" like the best you the magazines tell you you should look like, but it will truly be the best you!

Have a great day!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment